2017 Liebster Award Nomination!
Wow! I am so honored that The Book of Jess was nominated for the 2017 Liebster Award! This blog has only been up for about two months so it is surprising to be nominated, but definitely a great feeling!
The Leibster Award was created back in 2011 and is an award given to bloggers, by bloggers. All nominees have smaller followings (usually fewer than 200 followers) and is a great way to learn about new blogs!
As part of the process for accepting the nomination, I will share a bit about my nominator, a bit about myself, give a shout out to my favorite blog, and then I will be nominating a few more blogs for the award! If you would like to learn more about the Liebster Award click here!
Thank You KMB & Co.!
I was nominated by the folks over at KMB & Co., where the focus is "Kuisine, Mind, and Body all in the Company of friends." Kristine talks about her amazing, and ongoing, weight loss journey while keeping it real with topics such as potty training a toddler and motivational reminders. Be sure to check her out!
Questions From my Nominator
- What is your guiltiest pleasure? Bread! Any and all types! It's somehow both the spinach to my Popeye and the kryptonite to my Superman. I love it, but I could easily eat a whole loaf of Italian bread with some oil, and that's probably not the best thing for anyone to do...
- If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be, and why? I actually have two answers for this. I hate stories that don't have a definitive end, so I would love to have a chat with Amelia Earhart to clear some things up (and because she seemed like a pretty cool lady!). I would also love to take advantage of the opportunity and "meet" my grandmother who passed away several years ago, but I think that might be cheating since I already knew her and this asked who I would like to meet. Oh well!
- Who do you think really killed JFK? I think that Lee Harvey Oswald was involved, but there's no way he was able to pull the whole thing off alone. He definitely had help, but I don't think I know enough about this to draw any conclusions!
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give to your 16-year-old self? SAVE YOUR MONEY! You don't need the $85 micro-shorts from Hollister or $7 drinks from Starbucks (you don't even like coffee!). You do need to be able to pay student loans and rent in a few years. Stash away everything you can and then don't touch it.
- What is your greatest fear? Being in very deep water where there's a good chance there's something below me. My heart is pounding just thinking about this. Thankfully this doesn't prevent me from doing things like going on The Yacht Week!
- Which do you hate worse during your workout schedule, arm day, or leg day? Leg day - I live in a city where having a car is actually an inconvenience, so anywhere I need to go, I walk. This means that after a leg workout I still need to drag myself all the way home.
- If you could be on a talk show or a reality show, which would it be and why? Dancing with the Stars - or something similar since I'm not "technically" a celebrity (but then again, neither are some of the 'stars'). I'd love to learn how to dance like they do, plus they usually end up getting in awesome shape during the show from all of the practicing.
- If you could live in any decade, which would it be? The Roaring 20's! I think being a flapper would be so much fun! But then I'd like to be able to return back to my comfortable 21st-century life.
- What is your stance on the TV show Caillou? Ugh. I thought I was the only person who was bothered by the existence of a cartoon pre-schooler, but it turns out this is a common feeling. He's just the worst and I pray that my future children are nowhere near as annoying as that little shit. Wow, that escalated quickly.
- Who or what has been your biggest influence in your life? From parents who always worked extremely hard to provide anything and everything I ever needed and siblings who taught me the true meaning of perseverance, to years and years of amazing teachers and a boyfriend who has opened my eyes and mind to innumerable adventures and ideas - I've been lucky enough to have so many positive influences in my life. It's basically impossible to choose just one.
- How do you balance privacy, personal life, and blogging? This blog is fairly new, so balancing blogging and my personal life hasn't been an issue so far. We'll see how things progress!
A Beautiful Mess
Currently, one of my favorite blogs is one that I was recommended to by my boyfriends' sister. She knows me pretty well, so when she suggested I check out A Beautiful Mess I knew I was in good hands - and I was right!
This blog truly has a little bit of everything! Sisters Elsie and Emma are the creative geniuses behind the website. My favorite topic of their’s to follow is the décor section. They have an amazing style which makes me jealous on the reg, #InteriorDesignGoals. I also love the recipes they post – seriously, they can make you drool from the description alone. I mean, who can resist a stuffing meatball (read: bread), because I know I can’t!
There is also a craft section on the blog with about 92,845 projects that I want to try out if, and when, I ever find the time. I know people say that everyone has the same 24 hours in a day as Beyonce, but I’m starting to think that’s just not true.
The website is aptly named because, like life, it is a beautiful mess. Plus Elsie, Emma, and their team are just pretty awesome and I seriously cannot get enough.
A Few Random Facts About Me
I currently live with my boyfriend in Jersey City and we are getting really good at pretending we know how to adult
I hate ketchup
I was a cheerleader for about 13 years - from first grade through my freshman year of college
I know every word to Bohemian Rhapsody
I was on a math team for a year when I was in high school. We were called the Math Ninjas.
I could eat either a bagel or pizza for every single meal until the end of time and I don't think I would ever get sick of them
I have 10 tattoos
Grape flavored anything will always be my last choice
When I grow up I want to be a wedding planner
I graduated from Ramapo College of New Jersey in 2013 with a bachelors degree in marketing and a minor in psychology
And the Nominees are...
- Allie at Vigor It Out. She seems to be able to do it all - mouthwatering recipes, intense workouts, an awesome blog, all while being a mom. I look forward to seeing what else she has to come!
- Hayley-Jacqueline at The Everything. Her blog has a great layout and awesome content. She has a great work-life balance and truly embodies the "Everything Girl" persona she's created!
- Christine at Christine-Figueroa.com. Christine goes on fascinating adventures and has an amazing way with words. You can feel the passion she has for living life to the fullest through her pictures and stories!
- Amara at Azarya Life & Style. This blog is a place for women to be inspired to live their best lives. She posts a little about everything you may need - fashion, beauty, fitness, weddings, and more!
- Josh from On The Eaten Path. This blog is a little less than one year old and you can already find a recipe for every occasion. There's information on the basics, like roasting vegetables, as well as more complicated dishes like Shrimp Étouffée - yum!
Questions for my Nominees
- If you had one superpower, what would it be and why?
- What fictional character do you think would be your best friend if you were to ever meet?
- Would you rather explore outer space or the depths of the ocean?
- Why did you initially decide to start blogging?
- If you could relive one year of your life so far, which would it be?
- How many regular-sized marshmallows do you think you could fit in your mouth at once?
- What's your favorite holiday and why?
- Would you rather be famous yet poor or anonymous and rich?
- For what in your life do you feel most grateful?
- If you could ask a psychic one question about your future (and it was guaranteed to be true), what, if anything, would you ask?
- What do you like best about yourself?
Again, Thank You!
Thank you, again, to Kristine! I am so excited to be nominated for the Liebster Award. This is an amazing program and has introduced me to so many new blogs that I may not have discovered if not for this nomination.
There is a lot more to blogging than I realized when starting out and these past couple of months have definitely been quite a learning process. I am proud of where The Book of Jess is and the am very excited to see where this path is going to take me!